Comprehensive and Robust Set of 69 School Staff Wellbeing Survey Questions
So, you've decided to run a staff wellbeing survey at your school. But what questions should you ask? Don't waste an afternoon thinking up questions on your own. Use this set of 69 questions, adapted from the UK Civil Service People Survey. They are robust and well-tested and cover everything you need.
Feel free to copy them into your own survey tool (e.g. Google Forms). Or use our low-cost school staff survey tool to administer them for you - it'll save you a lot of time, and show you the results as a set of beautiful graphs which you can share with your governors or SLT.
- I'm interested in my work
- I'm sufficiently challenged by my work
- My work gives me a sense of personal accomplishment
- I feel involved in the decisions that affect my work
- I have a choice in deciding how I do my work
School Objectives and Purpose
- I have a clear understanding of my school's purpose
- I have a clear understanding of my school's objectives
- I understand how my work contributes to my school's objectives
- My manager motivates me to be more effective in my job
- My manager is considerate of my life outside work
- My manager is open to my ideas
- My manager helps me to understand how I contribute to my school's objectives
- Overall, I have confidence in the decisions made by my manager
- My manager recognises when I have done my job well
- I receive regular feedback on my performance
- The feedback I receive helps me to improve my performance
- I think that my performance is evaluated fairly
- Poor performance is dealt with effectively here
- The people here can be relied upon to help when things get difficult in my job
- The people here work together to find ways to improve the service we provide
- The people here are encouraged to come up with new and better ways of doing things
Learning and Development
- I am able to access the right learning and development opportunities when I need to
- Learning and development activities I have completed in the past 12 months have helped to improve my performance
- There are opportunities for me to develop my career in this school
- Learning and development activities I have completed while working here are helping me to develop my career
Inclusion and Fair Treatment
- I am treated fairly at work
- I am treated with respect by the people I work with
- I feel valued for the work I do
- I think that this school respects individual differences (e.g. cultures, working styles, backgrounds, ideas, etc)
Resources and Workload
- In my job, I am clear what is expected of me
- I get the information I need to do my job well
- I have clear work objectives
- I have the skills I need to do my job effectively
- I have the tools I need to do my job effectively
- I have an acceptable workload
- I achieve a good balance between my work life and my private life
Pay and Benefits
- I feel that my pay adequately reflects my performance
- I am satisfied with the total benefits package
- Compared to people doing a similar job in other schools I feel my pay is reasonable
Leadership and Managing Change
- I feel that this school as a whole is managed well
- The leadership team in this school is sufficiently visible
- I believe the actions of the leadership team are consistent with this school's values
- I believe that leadership team has a clear vision for the future of this school
- Overall, I have confidence in the decisions made by the leadership team
- I feel that change is managed well here
- When changes are made here they are usually for the better
- I am kept informed about matters that affect me
- I have the opportunity to contribute my views before decisions are made that affect me
- I think it is safe to challenge the way things are done here
- I am proud when I tell others I am part of this school
- I would recommend this school as a great place to work
- I feel a strong personal attachment to this school
- This school inspires me to do the best in my job
- This school motivates me to help it achieve its objectives
- I believe that the leadership team here will take action on the results from this survey
- I am trusted to carry out my job effectively
- I believe I would be supported if I try a new idea, even if it may not work
- My performance is evaluated based on whether I get things done, rather than solely follow process
- When I talk about this workplace I say 'we' rather than 'they'
- I have some really good friendships at work
- Overall, how satisfied are you with your life nowadays?
- Overall, to what extent do you think the things you do in your life are worthwhile?
- Overall, how happy did you feel yesterday?
- Overall, how anxious did you feel yesterday?
- During the past 12 months have you personally experienced bullying or harassment at work?
- (If yes) Who were you bullied or harassed by at work in the past 12 months?
[Answer does not expect a name, just a choice from 'colleague', 'manager', 'member of the public', etc.]
- During the past 12 months have you personally experienced discrimination at work?
- (If yes) On which of the following grounds have you personally experienced discrimination at work in the past 12 months?
- Which of the following statements most reflects your current thoughts about working here?
- I want to leave as soon as possible
- I want to leave within the next 12 months
- I want to stay working here for at least the next year
- I want to stay working here for at least the next three years